Improve Your Fuel Economy
The following tips from the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) and www.fueleconomy.gov will help you improve your fuel economy:
Drive More Efficiently
- Stay within posted speed limits. Each 5 mph you drive over 60 mph is like paying an additional $0.20 per gallon for gas.
- Don’t drive aggressively. Improve your gas mileage up to 5% on the highway by avoiding speeding, rapid acceleration, and sudden braking.
- Avoid idling. Turn off your engine if you are going to have to wait.
- Remove excess weight from the trunk.
- Avoid packing items on top of your car. This creates wind resistance and can decrease fuel economy by 5%.
Maintain Your Car
- Keep your tires properly inflated and aligned.
- Change your oil regularly.
- Check and replace air filters regularly.
- Keep your engine properly tuned.